April 24, 2013

Spring Time Memories

image.jpeg

Oh I simply cannot wait for the full heat of summer to bear her warmth on my shoulders!  The exquisite feeling of a wet glass beneath my fingers from summer's humidity, the rustling of leaves in summer's warm winds.  Winter, well she's been a friend of mine since I was a child, growing up in Steamboat.  There our winters often started the beginning of October (first snows were usually in September) and lasted until the middle of June.  I remember spring in the valley, I would tramp out amongst the fading snows, receding banks, black with dirt, pulling away from the ground like a shadow in the sun.  And there, peeking out from banks on the rolling valley hills little yellow flowers, avalanche lilies (Erythronium Grandiflorum).  I would eat the flowers, they were slightly sweet and a little bitter.  Those little glimpses of color on the snow covered ground were the sign in the valley that finally our world tilted its face back towards the sun.

No comments: